Thinking of becoming a member of Atherstone Choral Society? The answers to many of your questions can be found below.
If there is something else you would like to know, please use our Contact Us Form.
Racemeadow Primary Academy
Entry to the playground, where cars should be parked, is from Carlyon Road.
Once a week for rehearsals, on Monday nights during term time.
Four days a year for Concerts.
Other occasional days, if you wish, for social events and workshops.
Rehearsals start at 7:30 pm and finish at 9:30 pm. Members are expected to arrive a little early to settle in, buy the obligatory raffle ticket, and say hello. A little help putting the chairs away at the end is expected.
We have a break half-way through for a welcome cuppa and a biscuit.
Pretty much anything that can be arranged for a choir.
- A capella to Zydeco
- Anderson to Zimmer
- Ave Maria to Zadok The Priest
Two of our concerts each year tend to be larger, formal works, such as Handel’s Messiah (that sort of thing). The other two are more ‘relaxed’, with selections of popular or seasonal songs, such as carols.
New members are always welcome.
We do not have auditions – just come along and sing. However, please contact the Membership Secretary before you come the first time, so that we can everything ready for you that you will need.
It helps if you can read music, but that is not essential. Just sing!
There are lots of helpful people around you to set you on the right course. We provide practice MP3 files, too.
Yes. Mostly. Usually.
Sometimes, we ask singers to bring along their own copy of a piece, if they have one, but not often.
Yes. For larger pieces, practice MP3 files for each voice are provided, so that you can sing along at home and prepare.
The usual cost is £35.00 per term, or you can pay for a full year in advance at £100.00.
- New members will have the opportunity to have a trial period of 5 consecutive rehearsals with the choir at the cost of £2.00 per session. If, after a trial period, they wish to join the choir and are accepted (at the discretion of the committee and Musical Director) money already paid will be deducted from the membership fee.
- New members, during their trial period, will be given a full set of music to use during the rehearsal by the choir librarian but this will be collected in at the end of the rehearsal during the trial period.
- On successful completion of the trial period, members will be issued with a full set of music which, for the first concert, is free of charge.
- 2 hours a week on Monday nights (not Bank Holidays) during school term-time.
- £35.00 per term or £100.00 per annum paid in advance.
- A little time (as much as you feel necessary) at home.
- A few get-you-sorted purchases (folder, pencil, etc).
- An occasional workshop (if you feel it would help, but not compulsory).
Occasionally we will collaborate with other choirs or organisations for ‘specials’.
The Concerts are usually held in churches in the Atherstone and Nuneaton area. Churches are big enough to accommodate the choir.
It has been known!
Our Fund-raising Officer, Airlie Main, is well-versed in the art of twisting arms. She is also Ace at arranging and running social events, and the main raffles.